Mercy Scholarships Awarded
Grants For Students Studying Careers In Healthcare
(June 11, 2009 – Rockville Centre, NY) –The Council of Leagues of Mercy Medical Center has presented its annual Sister Mary Grace Memorial Scholarships, providing one-time grants for students in financial need who are studying careers in healthcare.
The scholarships, which range from $500 to $1,000, are awarded in memory of Sister Mary Grace, who served as Moderator of the Leagues for many years and encouraged individuals to pursue compassionate service to the sick.
The recipients for 2009 are:
- Melissa Buccheri of Valley Stream, who, despite the recent tragedy of losing her mother in an automobile accident, has continued her work as a high school volunteer at Franklin General Hospital and will be attending Rivier College in New Hampshire in the fall in pursuit of a bachelor's degree in nursing.
- Kathleen Crowley of Massapequa Park, a student at Molloy College who has been motivated by her mother's nearly two-decade career as a Mercy Medical Center labor and delivery nurse, to become a pediatric nurse.
- Debra Murphy of Mineola, a single mother of three who works full-time as a data analyst at Mercy Medical Center while attending Adelphi University in pursuit of a MBA in Health Care Services Management.
- Eoin O'Neill of Bethpage, who works full-time as a Behavioral Health Associate at Mercy Medical Center while attending the Molloy College Nursing Program, and plans a career as a Nurse Practitioner.
- Keyd Mardard of Rosedale, Queens, a student at Mercy Medical Center's School of Radiography, who is pursuing a career as an x-ray technologist.
- The Rockville Centre Economic Opportunity Council, which has a program which provides scholarships for motivated high school students going on to college.